Friday, April 6, 2012

A Rant on Naval Maternity Uniforms

I was one of the lucky ones...  I didn't actually need to wear the Naval maternity uniform until I was five months pregnant and on shore duty.  Thankfully, while I was still on sea duty, I wore loose fitting coveralls (that became less loose fitting) and the Naval Working Uniform (blue camis) that have an elastic waistband.  I tried to get away wearing the NWU's on shore duty until I was informed by the one other Naval officer I worked with that I was required to wear the khaki uniform while in the National Capitol Region (NCR).

As any female officer knows, your khakis don't provide you with a lot of extra room.  Bloating or a five pound weight gain after the holidays could make them not fit.  Suffice to say, my khakis didn't have enough room for my 5 month pregnant tummy without threatening serious suffocation to baby.  So instead, I got to purchase the maternity uniform.  Here's a picture of it below.
Oh, and by the way, that's not me.  That's some random pic I pulled off Google.  I hated the maternity uniform so much that I've managed through two pregnancies to not have a single picture of me in it.

My major complaints about it:
1. You only look "good" in it when you're at least 8 months pregnant.  Otherwise, you look like you're wearing an ill-fitting tent.
2. The only pockets in the entire uniform are the breast pockets.  Where am I supposed to put a pen?  How about car keys?  And what if I don't want people to be staring at the weird lumps on my breasts if I actually try to use the pockets?
3. Why must the "full tummy panel" be so large?  Even when I was 9 months pregnant, it reached my rib cage.
4. And unless you shell out extra money for the associated maternity sweater, any item you try to wear with it to keep warm (for example, you're the most heavily pregnant during winter like I was) looks like you're trying some teenaged fad of "shrunken jacket" that only manages to keep my ribs warm.

Oh, and I was cheap.  Any occasion that called for me to wear something other than the khaki uniform, I conveniently worked from home that day.

No comments:

Post a Comment