Friday, April 6, 2012

A Really Awkward Conversation with Your CO

Determined to combine my career as an active duty SWO (surface warfare officer) and family took the same amount of planning for an actual military operation.  To do so, I had to consider the following:

1. The Navy only allows you to be up to 5 months pregnant on sea duty.
2. Rotating early from sea duty could harm my chances for my next duty station.
3. My next duty station (aka "shore duty") had been cut short from 3 years to 2.5 years.
4. I wanted to have two children on my shore duty.
5. My planned rotation date from my ship was August 2010.

I had a good relationship with my CO at the time so I didn't want to surprise him with a "Guess what?  I'm pregnant!"  Instead I decided to surprise him with a "Guess what?  I'm trying to get pregnant!" after briefing him and the XO (Executive Officer) on the status of our classified materials inventory. 

The only conversation more awkward?  When I told him and the XO less than a month later that I actually was pregnant.

No comments:

Post a Comment