Wednesday, May 27, 2015

ETA - Walking with Babies

Since moving to San Diego, the babies and I have done a lot more walking to get to places.  In fact, I usually prefer it.  Before we start walking anywhere, I usually Google Map the destination to figure out the distance and estimated time to the destination.  I just wish there was a "walking with small children" means of transportation option in addition to the car, public transportation, and walking because let's be honest, the estimated time is way not accurate with small children.

Case in point...  I decided to walk from the MIDWAY museum to the New Children's Museum.  Google Maps told me it should take 18 minutes to get there.  This is what it actually took:

10 minutes to walk three blocks.
10 more minutes to persuade the babies to walk another three blocks and cross two streets.
40 minutes to take a break for lunch at the Cheesecake Factory.
10 minutes to cross another street.
5 minutes to play hide and seek on one block.
5 minutes for me to argue with the younger child about walking until I finally gave in and carried her the last block and a half.

So yeah, come on, Google Maps, it took way longer than 18 minutes.

Next time, I bring the scooters and/or my collapsible wagon.

1 comment:

  1. So funny but I could imagine every scene! Next time bring the red wagon or you may end up carrying a child AND her scooter! Thank you and your famiily for your service to our country!

    ReplyDelete