Sunday, September 6, 2015

Why Promotions Should Never Happen During Nap Time (Funny Version)

For my promotion to Lieutenant Commander, I completely and utterly mooched off the planning for a Lieutenant Commander being promoted to Commander who was stationed at ATRC, the school house I was attending when my promotion came up.  It meant I had to do nothing other than add my invitees to her list, buy my collar devices, and make sure the folks I invited actually showed up on time.

Okay, so 2 out of 3 isn't bad.

Because I had been waiting outside the building for Niles, the kids, and my in-laws to arrive, I had missed the fact that the young children from the other officer being promoted had spent the half-hour or so running generally amok in the auditorium.  I mean, if I was a toddler wearing a Batman cape, that's exactly what I would have been doing too.  Instead, Niles rolled in with Anduin about 80% asleep, and by the time, we actually got everyone settled to start the ceremony, the other kids were cranky and trying to nap on the floor...  Right in the middle of the promotion ceremony.

We managed to persuade Anduin to wake up enough to help pin on my collar devices, but she was so quiet, Niles actually didn't even notice she was helping until they were on the second oak leaf.

And I lucked out.  At least my kids participated!  The little boy with the Batman cape literally tried to nap in front of his mom as she knelt, pleading with him and his older to sister to put on her new shoulder boards.  I felt selfishly appreciative my kids had performed on cue, but then I also realized they were a bit older...

And didn't need naps anymore... And certainly not during the scheduled promotion time.

No comments:

Post a Comment